Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Abnormalities in auditory evoked potentials of 75 patients with Arnold-Chiari malformations types I and II

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Henriques Filho Paulo Sergio A. | Pratesi Riccardo

Journal: Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria
ISSN 0004-282X

Volume: 64;
Issue: 3A;
Start page: 619;
Date: 2006;
Original page

Keywords: Arnold-Chiari malformations type I and type II | auditory evoked potentials

ABSTRACT
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the frequency and degree of severity of abnormalities in the auditory pathways in patients with Chiari malformations type I and II. METHOD: This is a series-of-case descriptive study in which the possible presence of auditory pathways abnormalities in 75 patients (48 children and 27 adults) with Chiari malformation types I and II were analyzed by means of auditory evoked potentials evaluation. The analysis was based on the determination of intervals among potentials peak values, absolute latency and amplitude ratio among potentials V and I. RESULTS: Among the 75 patients studied, 27 (36%) disclosed Arnold-Chiari malformations type I and 48 (64%) showed Arnold-Chiari malformations type II. Fifty-three (71%) of these patients showed some degree of auditory evoked potential abnormalities. Tests were normal in the remaining 22 (29%) patients. CONCLUSION: Auditory evoked potentials testing can be considered a valuable instrument for diagnosis and evaluation of brain stem functional abnormalities in patients with Arnold-Chiari malformations type I and II. The determination of the presence and degree of severity of these abnormalities can be contributory to the prevention of further handicaps in these patients either through physical therapy or by means of precocious corrective surgical intervention.

Tango Jona
Tangokurs Rapperswil-Jona

     Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions