Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Accidental ingestion of BiTine ring and a note on inefficient ring separation forceps

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Baghele ON | Baghele MO

Journal: Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management
ISSN 1176-6336

Volume: 2011;
Issue: default;
Start page: 173;
Date: 2011;
Original page

ABSTRACT
Om Nemichand Baghele1, Mangala Om Baghele21Department of Periodontology, SMBT Dental College and Hospital, Sangamner, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India; 2Private General Dental Practice, Mumbai, IndiaBackground: Accidental ingestion of medium-to-large instruments is relatively uncommon during dental treatment but can be potentially dangerous. A case of BiTine ring ingestion is presented with a note on inefficient ring separation forceps.Case description: A 28-year-old male patient accidentally ingested the BiTine ring (2 cm diameter, 0.5 cm outward projections) while it was being applied to a distoproximal cavity in tooth # 19. The ring placement forceps were excessively flexible; bending of the beaks towards the ring combined with a poor no-slippage mechanism led to sudden disengagement of the ring and accelerated movement towards the pharynx. We followed the patient with bulk forming agents and radiographs. Fortunately the ring passed out without any complications.Clinical implications: Checking equipment and methods is as important as taking precautions against any preventable medical emergency. It is the responsibility of the clinician to check, verify and then use any instrument/equipment.Keywords: foreign bodies/radiography, foreign bodies/complications, equipment failure, dental instrument, accidental ingestion
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions     

Tango Jona
Tangokurs Rapperswil-Jona