Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Acute Renal Failure due to Copper Sulfate Poisoning; a Case Report

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Fakhrossadat Mortazavi | Ahmad Jafari-Javid

Journal: Iranian Journal of Pediatrics
ISSN 2008-2142

Volume: 19;
Issue: 1;
Start page: 75;
Date: 2009;
Original page

Keywords: Copper sulfate | Poisoning | Renal failure | Dimercaprol | Toxic agents

ABSTRACT
Background: Copper sulfate is a blue and odorless salt with various industrial, chemical, agricultural and medicinal applications. Copper sulfate poisoning is rare in children. Case Presentation: A 23-month old boy accidentally ingested a solution of copper sulfate, used as a disinfectant agent in animal husbandry. He was referred to Children's Hospital of Tabriz because of frequent vomiting and lethargy. The major systemic complications were intravascular hemolysis, anemia and acute renal failure. The patient was successfully treated with multiple packed cell transfusions, dimercaprol, penicillamine and peritoneal dialysis. Plasma copper level 15 days after ingestion was 216 μg/dl. Conclusion: Copper sulfate is a highly toxic agent that, when ingested, can cause local and systemic damage including coma, shock, severe intravascular hemolysis, hepatotoxicity and acute renal failure with high mortality.
Affiliate Program     

Tango Jona
Tangokurs Rapperswil-Jona