Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Analysis of the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum expressed sequence tags

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Wang Lingling | Ma Li | Leng Wenchuan | Liu Tao | Yu Lu | Yang Jian | Yang Li | Zhang Wenliang | Zhang Qian | Dong Jie | Xue Ying | Zhu Yafang | Xu Xingye | Wan Zhe | Ding Guohui | Yu Fudong | Tu Kang | Li Yixue | Li Ruoyu | Shen Yan | Jin Qi

Journal: BMC Genomics
ISSN 1471-2164

Volume: 7;
Issue: 1;
Start page: 255;
Date: 2006;
Original page

ABSTRACT
Abstract Background Dermatophytes are the primary causative agent of dermatophytoses, a disease that affects billions of individuals worldwide. Trichophyton rubrum is the most common of the superficial fungi. Although T. rubrum is a recognized pathogen for humans, little is known about how its transcriptional pattern is related to development of the fungus and establishment of disease. It is therefore necessary to identify genes whose expression is relevant to growth, metabolism and virulence of T. rubrum. Results We generated 10 cDNA libraries covering nearly the entire growth phase and used them to isolate 11,085 unique expressed sequence tags (ESTs), including 3,816 contigs and 7,269 singletons. Comparisons with the GenBank non-redundant (NR) protein database revealed putative functions or matched homologs from other organisms for 7,764 (70%) of the ESTs. The remaining 3,321 (30%) of ESTs were only weakly similar or not similar to known sequences, suggesting that these ESTs represent novel genes. Conclusion The present data provide a comprehensive view of fungal physiological processes including metabolism, sexual and asexual growth cycles, signal transduction and pathogenic mechanisms.
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions     

Tango Rapperswil
Tango Rapperswil