Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Bone Marrow Derived Adult Stem Cell Implantation: A Possible Permanent Treatment Modality for Type 2 Diabetics

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): R.S. KAHLON | M.K. MANCHANDA | P. KANWAL

Journal: International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health
ISSN 1840-4529

Volume: 3;
Issue: 3;
Start page: 264;
Date: 2011;
Original page

Keywords: Stem Cells | Diabetes | Permanent Cure | Type 2

ABSTRACT
Introduction: Diabetes is one of the most prevalent chronic disease that exists in the world. Type 2Diabetes is the predominant type of diabetes. Management is basically limited to exercise, diet and oralhypoglycemic drugs before insulin therapy has to be instituted. But bone marrow derived stem cellimplantation into the islets has shown very encouraging results for diabetics.Methods: Bone marrow derived stem cells when implanted in the pancreas leads to regeneration ofinsulin producing Beta Cells and hence significant increase in both Endogenous Insulin and levels of CPeptide.12 patients (9 males and 3 females) on insulin therapy were treated with this modality, out ofwhich 9 successfully responded and 3 were non-responders in which the effect was short lived. Theresponders showed weight loss, improved glycosylated Hb profile and reduced insulin requirementResults: Significant improvement in levels of Endogenous insulin and C-Peptide was observed. 75% ofthe patients responded well to the treatment while the rest 25% were non responders (compared at 5weeks after the transplant).Discussion: This new invasive therapeutic modality can hence be used to improve the quality of lives ofabout 75% of patients with Type 2 Diabetes by partially or significantly decreasing the requiredexogenous insulin. The long term complications of this procedure need to be observed before it’seffective application on a larger scale. Overall, has proved to be a very significant break-through in thefield of medicine.
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions     

Tango Rapperswil
Tango Rapperswil