Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

CLINICAL AND LABORATORY MANIFESTATIONS OF THROMBOCYTOPENIA IN PATIENTS WITH SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): I. Salehi. | M. | Akbarian. | F. Shahram. | F. Gharibdoost. | A. Nadji. | A. Jamshidi andF. Davatchi

Journal: Acta Medica Iranica
ISSN 0044-6025

Volume: 35;
Issue: 1-2;
Start page: 8;
Date: 1997;
Original page

ABSTRACT
In systemic lupus erythematosus- (SLE) various antibodies are produced against cells including platelets and result in thrombocytopenia. In the literature, the incidence of thrombocytopenia varied from 7% to 52%, in seven series of SLE patients with a mean cumulative percentage of 14.5% (1-5). SLE patients referred to the Lupus Unit of the Rheumatology Research Center, Tehran University for Medical Sciences (Shariati Hospital) during the period of 1975 to 1977 were included in this study. T/irombocytopenic patients were selected and 72 items were studied. Tiie incidence of thrombocytopenia in Iranian SLE patients was 16.6%, which is similar to the mean cumulative percentage mentioned above. There was no difference in sex ratio between thrombocytopenic ami nonthrombocytopenic patients: Tiie same was true for the mean age at the onset of the disease. In 70% of patients there was mild to moderate thrombocytopenia (platelet from 50000 to lS0000/mm3). the remaining (30%) had severe to very severe thrombocytopenia. In 1.9% of patients had a previous diagnosis of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). the following symptoms were seen more oflen in thrombocy¬topenic patients than in others: Hemolytic anemia (p
Why do you need a reservation system?      Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions