Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Ditection of coronary artery disease: accuracy of 64- slice computed tomography versus converntional invasive angiography

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Kazemi Khaledi A | Taghizadeh M

Journal: Tehran University Medical Journal
ISSN 1683-1764

Volume: 66;
Issue: 8;
Start page: 552;
Date: 2008;
Original page

Keywords: Coronary artery disease (CAD) | multislice computed tomography (MSCT) | MSCT | diagnostic | accuracy | 64- slice MSCT

ABSTRACT
"nBackground: Multislice computed tomography (MSCT) is a noninvasive method of detecting coronary artery disease (CAD). The purpose of the present study was to investigate the accuracy of 64-slice MSCT (64-MSCT) in daily practice, without patient selection. "nMethods: Sixty-four consecutive suspected CAD patients underwent both 64-MSCT and quantitative coronary angiography (QCA). The CT system The mean time span between MSCT and QCA was 7.2±3.9 days. For the 64-MSCT, detection or exclusion of CAD, defined as one or more areas of >50% stenosis within major epicardial coronary arteries, the sensitivity, specificity, diagnostic accuracy, positive predictive value (PPV), and negative predictive value (NPV) were evaluated both per patient and per segment. "nResults: Sixty-one of the 64 coronary CT angiograms (95%) were of diagnostic image quality. QCA showed significant CAD in 64% (39/61) of the patients, with the other 36% (22/61) showing nonsignificant disease or no disease. Sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, PPV, and NPV of 64-MSCT per patient were 92%, 86%, 90%, 92% and 96%, respectively. By the per-segment analysis, 695 of 791 coronary artery segments were assessable (88%). Of these, 64-MSCT showed a sensitivity of 80%, specificity of 92%, accuracy of 90%, PPV of 65%, and NPV of 96%, respectively, in detecting CAD. "nConclusions: Both per patient and per segment analyses for coronary 64-MSCT showed a higher diagnostic accuracy than QCA. This suggests 64-MSCT should primarily be used for risk stratification on a per patient basis as a noninvasive gate-keeper diagnostic method.
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions      Why do you need a reservation system?