Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Ethiopathogenesis, diagnosis and therapy of acquired megacolon in dogs

Author(s): Prokić B. | Todorović Vera | Mitrović Olivera | Vignjević Sanja | Savić-Stevanović Vera

Journal: Acta Veterinaria
ISSN 0567-8315

Volume: 60;
Issue: 2-3;
Start page: 273;
Date: 2010;
VIEW PDF   PDF DOWNLOAD PDF   Download PDF Original page

Keywords: acquired megacolon | dog | etiology | surgery

Megacolon refers to an abnormal dilatation of the colon. This condition occurs in both humans and animals. Although it seems to be more common in cats, megacolon may also occur in dogs. However, data regarding the etiopathogenesis, clinical course and outcome of canine megacolon are scarce. The aim of this study is to present the experience of our team in diagnosis and therapy of canine acquired megacolon, with particular reference to etiopathogenetic aspects. The prospective study included 28 dogs affected with megacolon, aged 5-9 years. The 26 animals underwent a surgical procedure (colonotomy followed by manual extraction of faeces), and were followed up for a period of 28 days. On the basis of anamnestic data, clinical and radiographic findings, 7 dogs (25%) were presented with idiophatic acquired megacolon, while 75% of cases had secundary acquired megacolon of different etiology (including pelvic canal stenosis, lumbar and sacral spinal injuries or back leg fractures, in 46% od cases; keeping the animals in the backyard and irresponsibility of their owners, in 11%; non-adequate nutrition, in 11%; and decreased physical activity and keeping animals in small flats, in 7%). During early postoperative period, the medical treatment and dietary regimen enabled defecation in 65% of cases. The remaining 35% of cases were treated with Cisapride in order to establish spontaneous defecation. All dogs recovered completely during the 28- days follow-up period. According to the results of interviews with dog owners, all animals were in good condition six months after the surgical procedure.
Why do you need a reservation system?      Affiliate Program