Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Fat deterioration in deep fat frying of «french fries» potatoes at restaurant and food shop sector.

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Masson, L. | Robert, P. | Izaurieta, M. | Romero, N.

Journal: Grasas y Aceites
ISSN 0017-3495

Volume: 50;
Issue: 6;
Start page: 460;
Date: 1999;
Original page

Keywords: «French fries» | Frying fats | Hydrolysis | Polar compounds | Thermooxidative alteration. | Alteración termooxidativa | Compuestos polares | Grasa de fritura | Hidrólisis | Patatas «french fríes».

ABSTRACT
The objective of this work was to know the deterioration of fats employed in deep frying of «french fries» potatoes at restaurant and food shop sector in Santiago (Chile), before the recent Chilean legislation became official. 96 % of the samples corresponded to polyunsaturated vegetable oils, 76 % had more than 2 % linolenic acid and 23 % of total samples contained more than 25 % of polar compounds. To predict the percentage of polar compounds, equations were developed: for soybean oil and mix soybean oil-canola the equation included viscosity or conjugated dienoic acids, while for sunflower oil viscosity and free fatty acids were considered. Sunflower oil, presented a different pattern of the altered groups that comprise the fraction of polar compounds, as compared with soybean and mix soybean-canola oils, these latter two showing significantly higher thermoxidative degradation. Among the diagnostic tests assayed, Oxifrit is recommended as a quick test for practical deterioration control.El objetivo de este trabajo fue conocer el deterioro de la materia grasa empleada en el proceso de fritura de patatas tipo «french fries» en el sector de restaurantes y pequeños establecimientos en Santiago (Chile) antes de que la reciente legislación chilena fuera oficial. El 96 % de las muestras correspondió a aceites vegetales poliinsaturados, el 76 % contenían más de un 2 % de ácido linolénico y el 23 % del total de las muestras presentó más del 25 % de compuestos polares. Para predecir el porcentaje de compuestos polares, se desarrollaron ecuaciones que para el aceite de soja y mezcla soja-canola, incluyeron la viscosidad o los dienos conjugados, mientras que para el aceite de girasol se consideró la viscosidad y los ácidos grasos libres. El aceite de girasol mostró una distribución diferente de las especies alteradas que conforman la fracción de compuestos polares, en comparación al aceite de soja y mezcla soja-canola, presentando estos últimos significativamente una más elevada alteración termoxidativa. Entre los tests evaluados se recomienda el ensayo de Oxifrit como prueba rápida para el control práctico del deterioro de grasas de fritura.

Tango Jona
Tangokurs Rapperswil-Jona

     Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions