Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Local skin reaction following an accidental injection from a BCG vaccine in a healthcare worker

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Kundan Mittal | Manish Kumar Goel | Preeti R | Pardeep Khanna

Journal: Australasian Medical Journal
ISSN 1836-1935

Volume: 4;
Issue: 2;
Start page: 94;
Date: 2011;
Original page

Keywords: BCG vaccine | adverse reaction | healthcare worker | medical error

ABSTRACT
Exposure to blood-borne pathogens from sharp injuriescontinue to pose a significant risk to healthcare workers(HCW). The number of sharps injuries sustained by HCW is stillunclear, primarily due to under-reporting of events.Healthcare professionals are at risk of sustaining such injuriesfrom hollow-bore needles. Sharps injuries are associated withrisk of infection with blood-borne pathogens such as humanimmunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV) hepatitisC virus (HCV) and other live organisms. Here we are reportinga case of an adverse reaction in a HCW due to an accidentalsharps injury by a needle used to administer the BacillusCalmittee Gurien (BCG) vaccine.
Why do you need a reservation system?      Affiliate Program