Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Natural abundance of 13C in tropical grasses from the INPA, Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia, herbarium

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): MEDINA ERNESTO | MARTINELLI LUIZ ANTONIO | BARBOSA EDELCILIO | VICTORIA REYNALDO LUIZ

Journal: Revista Brasileira de Botânica
ISSN 0100-8404

Volume: 22;
Issue: 1;
Start page: 44;
Date: 1999;
Original page

Keywords: Grasses | Amazon | d 13C | photosynthetic | cycle | C3 | C4

ABSTRACT
The stable carbon isotopic composition of 165 grass species was determined with the objective of verifying their photosynthetic pathway (C3 and C4). The samples, taken from the INPA herbarium, were mainly collected in the North of Brazil. Approximately 60% of the species proved to be of the C4 type, with d 13C values ranging from -13.6 to -9.5?, while the remainder 40% belonged to the C3 type, with values ranging from -34.7 to -23.4?. This relatively high proportion of C3 species is probably due to the high relative humidity of the sites where the species were collected.
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions      Why do you need a reservation system?