Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Neck metastasis from an occult primary--the Kidwai experience.

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Shenoy A | Hasan S | Nayak U | Anantha N | Reddy B | Kannan V | Bhargava M

Journal: Indian Journal of Cancer
ISSN 0019-509X

Volume: 29;
Issue: 4;
Start page: 203;
Date: 1992;

Keywords: Adult | Aged | Female | Head and Neck Neoplasms | secondary | Human | India | epidemiology | Male | Middle Aged | Neoplasms | Unknow

ABSTRACT
This study highlights our treatment policy in 26 cases of epidermoid metastatic carcinoma in the neck from a primary deemed occult after exhaustive examination of the Upper Aero-digestive Tract (UADT). Planned Radical Neck Dissection (RND) and post-operative radiotherapy (RT) has been the favoured approach in all neck nodes deemed resectable and a loco-regional control rate of 64% was obtaining using this combined modality approach. Pre-operative RT was utilised in three cases with nodal disease of borderline resectability and loco-regional control was achieved in one case. Three cases of massive neck metastasis initially deemed unrectable became amenable to surgical salvage after Radical RT with concurrently administered chemotherapy. Only one of these remained disease free. Overall loco-regional control rate of 55 per cent could be achieved in 20 evaluable patients followed up for two years--three years (mean 30.5 months). Regional failures were noted in 25 per cent of patients while distant spread occurred in 15 per cent, thus accounting for an overall failure rate of 40 per cent. Manifest primaries were documented in 20 per cent, half of which could be salvaged and successfully controlled.
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions      Why do you need a reservation system?