Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

PREVALENCE OF THYROID DYSFUNCTION AND ITS MANAGEMENT IN DIABETIC PATIENTS ATTENDING OUTPATIENT CLINIC OF KIMS HOSPITAL

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Kiran Nagaraju | Amin Pirouz | Tayebeh Sadeghi | Pegah Esmaeili

Journal: International Research Journal of Pharmacy
ISSN 2230-8407

Volume: 4;
Issue: 9;
Start page: 132;
Date: 2013;
VIEW PDF   PDF DOWNLOAD PDF   Download PDF Original page

Keywords: Diabetes Mellitus | Autoimmune Disease | Iodothyronines | Diabetogenic | Hyperthyroidism.

ABSTRACT
Thyroid dysfunction is one of the parameter for poor glycemic control. In hypothyroidism, the synthesis and release of insulin is decreased, while in hyperthyroidism, there could be masking of increase in insulin secretion due to increased degradation of insulin. We did our study in the prevalence of thyroid dysfunction and its treatment management in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (DM) patients. The study was conducted for period of 6 months from January to June 2012. During the study we recruited Type 2 DM patients attended the clinic who were receiving insulin’s, antidiabetic drugs more than 5 years and confirming with fasting plasma glucose levels of > 110 mg/dl at more than two occasions, visited the medicine outpatient department at KIMS Hospital, Bangalore, India who were screened and included into the study after explaining about the study followed by taking the informed consent from the participants. The total of 223, Type 2 DM patients data were recorded in a well-designed data collection form. Blood sample was drawn for thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) analysis and the obtained value was recorded. We found that the percentage of female’s 18 (8.07 %) patients suffering from hypothyroidism was higher than men six (2.69 %) patients. We also found that the percentage of female’s 17 (7.62 %) patients suffering from hyperthyroidism was also higher than men 13 (7.62 %) patients. Out of 223 patient’s recruited Type DM patients, 169 (75.78 %) patients were found to have normal TSH values and remaining 54 (24.21 %) patients were diagnosed to have thyroid dysfunction, out of which 30 (13.45 %) patients had hyperthyroidism and 24 (10.76 %) patients had hypothyroidism. Thyroid dysfunction is one the reason for poor glycemic control in diabetic patients. Under or inadequate treatment of thyroid dysfunction can negatively impact on the diabetics control.
Why do you need a reservation system?      Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions