Academic Journals Database
Disseminating quality controlled scientific knowledge

Tendências da desigualdade educacional no Brasil

ADD TO MY LIST
 
Author(s): Silva Nelson do Valle | Hasenbalg Carlos

Journal: Dados - Revista de Ciências Sociais
ISSN 0011-5258

Volume: 43;
Issue: 3;
Start page: 423;
Date: 2000;
Original page

Keywords: Brazil | education | inequality | demographic transition

ABSTRACT
Even today, Brazil's educational indicators are only slightly better than those of the poorest countries in Latin America. Nevertheless, the slow but continuous expansion in schooling in the last two decades has increased the Brazilian population's educational level and decreased inequality according to region, color, gender, and income bracket. By breaking down the explanatory factors for educational improvement, this study suggests, as a conservative estimate, that approximately 60% of this improvement is due to changes in living conditions and the geographic distribution of families resulting from urbanization and the demographic transition, with the remaining 40% due to actual improvements in the educational system's performance.
Save time & money - Smart Internet Solutions      Why do you need a reservation system?